Community

Responding to the Coronavirus . . . and the Government

There are two basic responses that the Bible requires of us, to the coronavirus outbreak.  The first is submission to the governing authorities. Presently, the CDC has called for self-isolation for those over 65, “strong” social distancing and canceling events over 50 people. I see no sin in these. Therefore, Romans 13:1-7 straightforwardly applies:  Let every […]

Responding to the Coronavirus . . . and the Government Read More »

Coronavirus and the Gospel

Yesterday Sacramento County shifted its strategy of dealing with the spreading coronavirus, from one of containment to one of management. Essentially, they advise: if you have coronavirus, limit your social contact. If you do not have it, but have been exposed to someone who does have it, then take precautions – see below, and see the

Coronavirus and the Gospel Read More »

Effective Small Groups, Part 3

In the last post, I said three triads are necessary for a group to be effective, properly defined. I want to define those “triads” here: Word, Prayer and Fellowship: By “Word”, I mean the group pursues spiritually significant conversations, around and out of the Bible. Perhaps this means simply discussing the prior week’s sermon. But

Effective Small Groups, Part 3 Read More »

Effective Small Groups

What’s a small group for? Briefly, to be a channel of grace flowing, from God, to each member of the group. And from each member of the group. What everyone needs most is grace, from God – everyone IN the group, and OUTSIDE the group. This series of posts will elaborate on effective groups, starting

Effective Small Groups Read More »